THIS IS LONGFORD
Now in our sixteenth century cialis super active!
This page was last updated on
26 November 2006
Longford has a long and interesting history and was recorded as being in existence by 1337 free cialis. Recent excavation on the T5 construction site may have pushed back the Longford timeline to as early as the 5th century AD viagra. Longford clearly derives its name from the large number of rivers that are crossed by the Old Bath Road as it passes through the village viagra fast delivery. The name today is usually pronounced as one word but this is a relatively recent development and even now the older form of pronunciation is still sometimes heard locally viagra dosage. One former inhabitant always insisted that Longford was the name of a county in Ireland and that he lived in 'Long-Ford', pronounced in two distinct syllables, which emphasises the origin of the name. Some of these rivers did not exist at the time that the village was named and all the fords have been replaced by bridges for many hundreds of years viagra. This page contains details and photographs pertaining to the history of the village free cialis. Click on the links in the table below to be taken to the relevant information cialis price.
If you can add to our knowledge in any way, please contact us free viagra.
The milestone at the
The entry for Harmondsworth in the 1852 Post Office Directory includes the following information about Longford cialis.
LONGFORD takes its name from its situation on a branch of the Colne, which supplies Hampton Court Palace discount viagra. A fine bridge over the stream is called Queen's Bridge; Longford is 15 miles from Hyde-Park corner cialis price. This district lies low and is subject to be overflowed viagra.
Mrs Peggy Bedford, 'King's Head' Mrs Hannah Blondell, beer retailer
James Dipsell, baker William Eagles, 'White Horse' Alfred Aldridge, shoemaker
Samuel Gray, farmer Mrs Sarah Heath, farmer George Hester, farmer
James Jarvis, farmer Thomas Jarvis, farmer Mrs Sarah Keen, beer retailer Heath Row
John Mailing, smith and farrier Henry Monk, 'Kings Arms' Joseph Philp, farmer
William Philp, farmer Heath Row Richard Tillyer, farmer John Tripp, general dealer
National Schools (for boys and girls), John Reily, master, Mrs Sarah Reily, mistress.
The entry for Harmondsworth in the 1878 Post Office Directory includes the following information about Longford.
LONGFORD is on the road to Slough takes its name from its situation on a branch of the Colne, which supplies Hampton Court Palace: a fine bridge over this stream is called the Queen's Bridge: the district lies low, and is subject to be overflowed. Here is a small Baptist chapel.
James Bateman, beer retailer Thomas Chipperfield, grocer Edward Collins, shoemaker
Charles Fitzwater, 'White Horse' Frederick Gray, market gardener
James William Jarvis, market gardener John Crowder Jarvis, market gardener
John King, 'Kings Arms' Thomas Norton, market gardener John Passingham, wheelwright
Joseph Philp, market gardener James Robertson, 'Peggy Bedford'
James Savill, baker Jonathan Smith & Son, market gardeners
Richard Weekley, farmer Thomas Weekley, market gardener
Henry James Wild, farmer
The entry for Harmondsworth in the Pigot & Co Directory 1836, a commercial directory, includes the following information about Longford.
About half a mile from Harmondsworth, in that parish, is the hamlet of LONGFORD, situated on the main road to Bath and Oxford, and consequently a place of considerable thoroughfare. A few years since extensive print works were in operation here but these have now ceased, and no particular trade is attached to the hamlet.
Taverns and Public Houses
King's Arms - William Godfrey
White Horse - James Spratley
Hay dealer - William Bryan
To and from London and the West 'Waggons and Carriers' pass through Longford daily.
Lest We Forget
The names of the following who laid down their lives for King and Country from Longford are entered on the War Memorial for the 1914-18 War inside St Mary's Church, Harmondsworth.
It is interesting to note that Cordell's name is clearly added after the plaque was completed. Perhaps this young man died of his wounds some time after the memorial was erected.
There is another White listed from Harmondsworth and another Eggleton from Heathrow. Perhaps they were related. There are a total of 94 names listed on the memorial from the Parish. The figure has also noticably been altered since the memorial was first made reflecting the addition of Cordell.
The following names and addresses are contained in the electoral register for Longford, which is listed as part of Harmondsworth. It should be remembered that in 1914, only men over 21 with land or property could vote and only they are on the register.
On the first page, it separately lists these details:
William Cowdrey - Mead-Bridge, Longford. Occupied by Miss Cordery, W. White and J. White.
Henry James Wild - The Farm House, Longford. In own occupation.